The Advent Calendar is a timeless tradition, to celebrate the countdown of the days to Christmas with your family. This year you can try to build one yourself, instead of buying it. It will be a nice chance to create something using your hands and imagination, adding your own personal touch and giving your loved ones some fun!
With this original DIY idea, you can make an unique Christmas decoration with little boxes to “hide” a little surprise every day, as a note, a chocolate, a toy for children … or an engagement ring!
For this Christmas Calendar we suggest you to use materials, which can be easily purchased in a common stationery or in a household goods store. If you like collecting old little boxes this will be an excellent opportunity to expose and value them.
What do you need to make your calendar?
- 24 Boxes of different sizes (eg. candy boxes and boxes of matches)
- Chocolates, cards or small gifts
- Brown Paper monochrome (eg. Light brown)
- Colored gift paper
- Normal and double-sided adhesive tape
- Ribbons (eg. Ribbons for packages, strands of wool or kitchen string)
- Wood rings
- Acrylic paint (red and white)
- Golden marking pen
- Spray paint (optional)
How to make your calendar
1. Put inside each box a small present, such as chocolates, small Christmas decorations or cards.
2. Wrap the boxes, covering them with light brown wrapping paper, so that the base is the same for all. Then add strips of colored paper gift all around the packs, without covering them completely. Secure the wrapping paper with adhesive tape and finally decorate the packages with wires and ribbons of your preferred colours. You can use ribbons, woolen threads or, if you love the ‘rustic’ style, you can try with some kitchen string. The result will be harmonious and joyful.
3. Use acrylic colours to paint the wooden rings, alternating red and white. When the colour will be dry, write down the numbers from 1 to 24 on each ring, using the gold marker pen. To protect the wood surface and make it shiny, you can use a transparent spray.
4. Attach the rings to the boxes with the double-sided tape. Before you choose which package attach the ring, we suggest you to arrange your Christmas Calendar on a table, to get an idea of the final result. When you are satisfied with the composition, proceed with the rings.
5. Cut some ribbons and stick them on the wall using the adhesive tape or some white tacks, so that you won’t damage your wall. They will be guidelines for the composition of your calendar. Finally, fix your boxes on the ribbons, using the adhesive tape. We have chosen to use the adhesive tape, because it is resistant, but at the same time it allows you to easily remove the packages from the wall every day. If your boxes are bigger and heavier, just hang them with a wire.
If you do not want to hang the Christmas calendar on the wall, you can attach it to a wooden panel or an old framed mirror.
Easy, creative and done with your own hands: your family will love it! Have you already gone out to buy all that is necessary?