Coming To Italy? Basic Documents You Need

Spring is coming and you are probably sorting out your Trip to Italy for some property viewings but

– How many properties will you see?
– How deep will you examine the properties?
– Will you combine the viewings with a pleasant, relaxing holiday to see the beauty of Italy?

In one question: how long will you stay?

Setting out to visit your first properties is an exciting part of the process, but it’s important that you plan the duration of your stay since the very beginning, because this will determine the documents that you need to enter and stay in Italy.

So, all you have to do is as follows:

  • Make a list of properties you’d like to visit
  • Consider not-programmed viewings, that may be added during your stay
  • Decide if you want to stop for some more days to experience the culture and life of the area, where you are planning to move and how long you’d like to stay

These factors, will determine if yours will be a short or a long stay.

According to Italian laws a period of less than 90 days is considered as a “short stay”.

Beyond 90 days, it will be considered as a “long stay” and there will be additional formalities for both EU and non-EU citizens.

Basic documents for a short stay

Italy joined the Schengen agreement in 1997, thus it guarantees the free movement of persons inside the area.

• UK and other EU nationals: to enter Italy, you will need an ID or a passport. It’s important that both documents will be valid as long as you’ll stay in Italy.

A Visa is not required for UK and other EU nationals, unless you want to work in Italy: in such an event you will have to declare what kind of work you are going to do, in order to get the Visa.

• Non-EU nationals, a Visa may be required regardless of the purpose of your trip. To apply for a Visa, several documents are needed, according to your home Country. You can check this on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation or you can ask directly your travel agency, that will probably take care of this on your behalf. As a third chance, you can decide to book your trip to Italy with us and we’ll give you full support. By the way, it is important to remember that any Visas must be obtained from the Italian embassy in your home country in advance of your trip.

Basic documents for a long stay

If you want to stay in Italy for more than 90 days, then you have to apply for a long-stay Visa, sometimes also called a “residence permit”.

This procedure applies to both EU and non-EU citizens and it is normally completed in the Italian embassy of your home Country.

You must apply for it in person, and you may be asked to provide:

Evidence of your accommodation in Italy
Your ability to financially support yourself during your stay
Declaration of the purpose of your visit: this will determine the kind of visa you need.

Visas are released for many different reasons, as study, work, visiting family etc. The time-scale for completing the procedure varies according to the applying Country and it may take some time. So, in the event you are planning to stay in Italy for over 90 days, we recommend you to start planning your trip and sort out all documents in advance, at least 6 months before your scheduled travel. Anyway, you’re always better check with your local Embassy for details.

Now, it’s just time to start planning your Trip To Italy. If you’d like to read some reviews about nice cities and areas in Italy, you can visit

Compare listings